Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Time and Individual Impressions

Recently on face book a friend of mine posted a “like what I am saying and in return I will give my honest opinion about you”. While the thought of this could be bad for some people I figured what the hell. I haven’t seen this person for many years and really wanted to know their impression.

Here was their response:

Hate to admit but you are a pretty dang good guy. You are so good to your family and have always talked highly of them. You never treat others like they are less than you. You have a kind heart!!

Feedback like this is nice to hear and honestly I knew this person more than 10 years ago and haven't seen them since then. I would like to think that not much has changed, but from other feedback, it has. I still try to treat everyone as equals and overall I am a good citizen. I do love my family but I think some of the kindness has left.

Why do we change? I think it’s the experiences we have. Looking back I can see some significant moments that might have depleted the kindness or pulled it back from others.

One thing I am certain about is that my patience level has really dropped and that might make me appear less kind. I hope to be that guy my friend remembers, I am probably not but I know he’s still in me somewhere.

I do think it’s interesting to have others share their feedback and impressions of you. Another observation others had of me was on a recent business trip. I had spent the last year talking to these particular co-workers and when I saw them in person they said my voice didn’t match their mental image and thought by my looks that my voice should have been deeper. I got a kick out of that one.

I guess my point is that in time we can come across as different things to others but what I have found that really matters is what we think of ourselves. If we know who we are, know where we want to go and what we want to do we can do anything. If you don’t like something about yourself – change it.

1 comment:

Chrystal said...

excellent post. very thought provoking. It's the changing that is the hard part!