Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pride and Poser-ness

This post has been in the works for a while. Well actually I only thought about posting it yesterday but the topic has eaten at me for some time.

I have a co-worker who claims he is Italian, his mother is Italian and anytime you mention anything Italy related he has something to say. Now I don’t mind having pride in your roots but only if those roots are 100% and not diluted.

It cracks me up about him because after talking with him in depth, I found out that his father is of no-part Italian descent, thus making my co worker 50% Italian – 50% something else. Talking with him further I find out that his Italian Mother also had a non-Italian father, thus making my co worker 25% Italian at best.

Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal but the way this guy’s family carries on about being Italian has gotten almost unreal. They act as authorities on all things Italian and have never been to the mother land at all.

I love Italy, and have been there several times and have found differences with what he states as fact vs. fiction about Italian things in America. I keep telling him he should go and experience Italy but doesn’t want to go just yet, for some reason or another.

The point I want to make is its ok to have pride in your heritage but as long as you are true to your entire heritage. If you are 100% something – great but if you are only 25% of something don’t assume it as 100%, or maybe you are ashamed of being mixed like the rest of us. Because when you claim to be something you are not you tend to look like a poser.

No comments: